Nothing can be soothing for the soul than music that comes from a grand acoustic piano. Many music enthusiasts learn the instrument out of their will and fulfill their desire to become trained musicians. But it is not possible for everyone to buy and play a grand acoustic piano, and this is where the digital pianos come to their rescue.
A digital piano is capable of replicating the music and the sound of an acoustic piano and it does it with the help of digital sampling technology. Digital pianos are also advantageous over acoustic pianos as it is possible to play and practice them with the help of headphones. These pianos do not require tuning and are much lighter and compact for learners to port them from home and their music classes.
Quick Summary: Best Learner Digital Pianos in 2022
Also Check out: Best Digital Pianos & Keyboards for Beginners
Table of Contents
- Quick Summary: Best Learner Digital Pianos in 2022
- Top 4 Best Digital Pianos for Learning
- How Should Learners Choose their Digital Piano?
- Final Words
Top 4 Best Digital Pianos for Learning
We have described the best digital pianos for learning here and almost all of the pianos in our selection are slim, compact, and are quite portable. The top 4 best pianos for learners are as follows.
#1. Yamaha YPT-260 Keyboard – Best Overall
|Performance and sounds||9.6|
|Value for money||9.5|
This is an excellent keyboard for newbies and small children to start learning the piano game through lessons. This keyboard is portable and is extremely lightweight. It is also featured with a PAc130 power adapter. With this practice keyboard, the amateur pianist can learn the basic and advanced lessons as it is featured with 400 voices, 130 auto accompaniment styles, and more than a hundred onboard songs with backing tracks.
The best feature of this piano is that it has an education suite with a 9 step lesson function and the Aux input allows the users to play accompanying music from a phone, a tablet, or a computer. With this piano in hand, it is possible to record and playback at the same time using the recording function. This is an apt piano for entry-level piano players and it has only 61- keys, though it is enough for learning the piano lessons.
The YPT keyboards from Yamaha are however user friendly and are great for children and aspiring musicians. Though this is only an entry-level piano, it renders tremendous accompanying sounds and reproduces original sounds in their highest quality. Its auto-accompaniment styles render the best backing tracks and will follow the lead played by the chords.
What’s Best in Yamaha YPT-260?
- The duo mode feature in this piano helps two people to play on the same instrument at the same time.
- Features a compact and a lightweight design
- Battery-powered and thus can be played anywhere
- Three-step lessons to listen and play for individual hands.
- Possible to play along with one’s favorite song.
What’s Lacking in Yamaha YPT-260?
- This piano does not have a USB connection.
- Has only 61 keys and appeals to learners.
#2. Yamaha P45 Digital Piano – Runner Up
|Performance and sounds||9.5|
|Easy to Assemble||9.7|
|Value for money||9.5|
The P-45 is a low-cost weighted action keyboard from Yamaha with ample features for a newbie student to start learning the piano instrument. The weighted action keyboard of this piano features a heavier touch at the lower end and a lighter touch at the higher end. For newbies practicing on such GHS action, helps in building up some proper finger technique. But the piano renders an impressive 64 note polyphony that allows the players to perform some strong notes by using the sustain pedal.
The matte finish of these piano keys leaves them less slippery even when playing for a long period. Being a learner’s piano it has a 64 note polyphony that allows the players to perform dense piano notes easily. The piano has a dual-mode that helps the players to combine two voices together such as the piano notes and the strings, for a new playing experience. Its Advanced Wave Memory or the AWM sampling makes use of digital technology to record the acoustic piano’s sounds.
Players will love the classic sound engine of this Piano. You can hold down the ‘grand piano + function’ button to alter a variety of changes in the piano, such as to change voices, play demo sources, configure the metronome, etc. The piano comes with a standard PZ 150 power adapter that plugs with the standard outlet. With the help of its USB+ host port, it is possible to connect and interact with a wide range of educational, entertainment, and music creation apps on both the computer and mobile device.
What’s Best in Yamaha P45?
- The P45 digital piano features about 10 voices and a lot of features to train an amateur
- Compact and lightweight piano
- It is touch-sensitive and responds pretty well even to the smallest of touches.
- This is one of the best digital pianos that are available at an affordable cost.
- Players benefit from its single-button operation.
What’s Lacking in Yamaha P45?
- There is no record function available with the keyboard.
- The keys are weighted but are not like the real piano.
Check out: Best Budget Digital Pianos Under $500
#3. Yamaha PSRE373 Portable Keyboard – Editor’s Choice
|Performance and sounds||9.6|
|Value for money||9.5|
The PSR-E373 from the legendary Yamaha brand is a portable and touch-sensitive keyboard that is great for newbie piano players and hobbyists. This music instrument is packed with about 622 sounds of instrument voices along with amply accompaniment styles. This Piano also has eleven articulation line voices that mimic the famous PSR-S models. These features indeed make the piano highly expressive and they also have real-time control, to add more realism to the music.
The PSR-E373 mimics the latest tone generator from Yamaha, thus making this to be an excellent entry-level piano. It is possible to enjoy more than 622 stunning voices that include the guitar, the bass, trumpet, strings, etc. Players can also layer two different voices across the entire keyboard and create their own music combinations. Above all the touch-sensitive keys of this keyboard delivers dynamic control over the music notes.
Learners can play the keys heavily for louder tones or softly to achieve quieter sounds. Thus it is possible to achieve dynamic control over the music. Being an eminent piano for newbies it is equipped with a special digital signal processor that allows the users to apply a range of studio-quality effects to the sounds that one requires. The keyboard also features a number of auto-accompaniment play options, smart chord play options, and arpeggio function to play key rhythms and to help budding pianists.
What’s Best in Yamaha PSRE373?
- An excellent piano that helps budding pianists to explore their creativity.
- Features keys to success lesson function to practice the music notes expertly.
- Piano players can download a songbook or play with a partner.
- Features an excellent backlit LCD display.
- Renders studio-quality sound effects and a touch-sensitive keyboard.
What’s Lacking in Yamaha PSRE373?
- Doesn’t comes with a power cable and adapter.
Must Check: Best Home Digital Pianos
#4. Casio Casiotone CT-S300 Portable Keyboard – Great Choice for Learners
|Performance and sounds||9.2|
|Value for money||9.6|
This is an excellent piano from Casio for newbie piano players. This is an amazing piano for newbie piano players as it renders about 400 great-sounding notes and 77 accompaniment rhythms. The piano also features 61 full-size touch response keys along with a pitch bend wheel and ten types of reverbs for additional music expression. This piano is extremely portable and you can thus carry it for all your trade shows with the help of its built-in carry handle.
This Casio piano features a dance music mode that allows the players to easily remix and create EDM tracks. With this piano at hand, it is possible to easily select a style or choose the keys to trigger basslines, drum loops, synth parts, effects, and music transitions. The built-in speakers of this piano help in rendering an excellent stage show and its plug-in headphones help with quality and quiet music time as well.
The piano has more than 60 built-in songs to listen to and learn some high-quality music. Music players can connect with the free chordana play app to play their favorite songs and also to download the MIDI files with no drivers. Thus, the ultra-compact CT-S300 piano helps people to enjoy music wherever and whenever required.
What’s Best in Casio Casiotone CT-S300?
- The CT S300 features 61 full-size keys with excellent touch response.
- These keyboards include a power supply and music rest option.
- The dance music mode helps to easily create and remix EDM tracks.
- It is compatible with Mac, iOS, and Android devices with no drivers required.
What’s Lacking in Casio Casiotone CT-S300?
- The volume of the music note depends on the force exerted on the keys by the player.
Also check: Best Portable Keyboard Pianos Under $150
How Should Learners Choose their Digital Piano?
Digital pianos have made tremendous advances in recent years with the help of their high-quality sound and low cost. These features have made these pianos an excellent alternative for acoustic counterparts. These pianos have come to offer a range of features and functions and thus it is possible to find a perfect piano that fulfills one’s purpose.
Newbies who are looking for a piano to learn music should choose a low-cost model with some built-in learning tools. Also, novice pianists should make sure that the piano they choose will fit in the space they have and while buying the piano for a child, it is important to check if the piano is height appropriate as well. The following features should also be kept in mind while buying the digital piano for learning. Follow the below-mentioned pointers in choosing the best piano for learning.
- Learners and newbies should look for a digital piano that helps them to practice appropriate piano techniques.
- They might require a piano with basic learning lessors, sound-shaping tools, and detailed recording facilities.
- Newbies can start out with a cheaper digital piano with required features built on it.
- Choose a piano that offers a convenient and flexible keyboard while recreating the experience of an acoustic piano.
- Buy a piano with an appropriate graded hammer-action-weighted keyboard.
- Consider pianos with USB and MIDI connections so that the device connects with the computer and other portable devices.
- Choose a piano that is capable of playing other sounds such as strings, organs, etc.
Check out: Best Digital Pianos for Classical Pianists
There are a lot of things to consider before newbies opt out to buy a digital piano for learning purposes. Sometimes it could be confusing and indemnifying to buy the best piano that aids them in their learning function. newbies should choose a piano after considering their expectations towards the sound, feel, and dynamics and also taking their space considerations and budget in mind.