If you are thinking of buying a piano to upgrade your skill level, here’s a comprehensive review that lists the 5 best digital pianos for intermediate pianists. Some of the basic aspects that one must bear in mind when purchasing a digital piano include its length, size, number of keys, and variety of sounds, brands, portability, and weight. These reviews are based on the exclusive features, functions, popularity, and value for money that they offer so that you can conveniently choose a model that benefits your skill-level and preference.
Let’s take a look at the top-rated digital pianos for intermediate level pianists.
Table of Contents
Best Intermediate Digital Pianos 2021
|Best Intermediate Pianos||Weight||Price|
|#1. Yamaha DGX660B Digital Piano||82.9 pounds||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|#2. Casio Privia PX-160 Digital Piano||24.5 pounds||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|#3. Yamaha YPG535 Digital Piano||24 pounds||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|#4. Yamaha YDP103 Arius Series Digital Piano||115.7 pounds||VIEW ON AMAZON|
|#5. Yamaha P125 Digital Piano||26 pounds||VIEW ON AMAZON|
Also Check out:- Top 5 Best Digital Pianos Under $1000
Top 5 Best Digital Pianos for Intermediate Pianists
- The weighted keyboard allows for customization
- The GHS feature is great for intermediate level players
- Piano room function enables selecting from a variety of sounds
- 192-note polyphony is great for players who want to take it to the next level of professional play.
- Packed with a range of voices and effect settings
- The microphone enables singing and recording.
- MIDI connectivity and USB enabled
- Not a lightweight model. This impedes its portability
A versatile digital piano, the DGX660B from Yamaha provides the customizable sounds and effects that an intermediate level player seeks to upgrade her skills. The interactive features of this high-grade piano make learning and playing music fun. Also, accessibility to Yamaha’s website and apps enhance the experience.
DGX660B creates the sound of the grand piano with its piano room feature and also allows users to select from a range of other instruments. You’ll love the acoustic settings as they enable creating a customized piano environment.
The furniture stand provides users an additional comfort of height. The instrument can be connected with a microphone enabling users to sing along as they play their choicest compositions using the digital effects. The built-in speakers add on the sound quality replicating the full-band playing experience. The USB audio recorder device makes recording possible.
- Professional reverb and chorus effect enhances the sound manifold times recreating the effects of performing on a stage
- The microphone enables recording and saving your tracks with the best-suited effects
- Enabled with the Pure CF Sound Engine, this piano from Yamaha generates the sound of the authentic concert grand piano.
- The Graded Hammer Standard keyboard is designed to deliver weighted action. Just like acoustic piano effect, at its bass, you get the heavier touch while the upper end you can feel the lighter touch.
- The LCD screen on Yamaha DGX660B is great to view the lyrics, notations from any MIIDI tracks that your play on the instrument.
- The songs downloaded from Yamaha MusicSoft to any USB device connected to the piano can be viewed and played conveniently.
- Accompaniment style creates the impact of a virtual band as with the Smart Chord you just need one left-hand finger to be placed to create any chord from pop to jazz and more.
- Facilitates expressive and impactful performances with deep and rich sound created by AiR technology
- Simple design casting an elegant appearance
- 18 in-built instrument tones
- Lightweight instrument and can be placed in any corner of your home
- Portable as the music stand is detachable
- Can be used for stage performances
- Reverb allows control and personalization of sound
- The bench height isn’t adjustable
- 128 polyphony isn’t the best capacity in digital pianos available in the market
Casio claims its fame in the world of musical instruments with its high-quality devices that offer the state-of-the-art experience to its users. Privia PX-160 digital piano is no different. It comes with all the accessories that any intermediate pianist needs to hone his skills further.
The piano is packaged with an Austin Bazaar DVD and a polishing cloth. The S-67 stand elevates your piano to a proper height for comfortable play while the SP-33 pedal ensures to sustain the resonance of your chords without disconnecting the flow of music. And you’ll love the matching furniture bench that complements the overall appearance of this electric piano.
- The AiR technology also known as Acoustic and Intelligent Resonator provides this instrument with sound quality similar to that of a grand piano.
- It is an 88-key digital piano
- The tri-sensor scaled hammer action II keyboard provides the hammering impact and a sophisticated touch response
- The ivory and ebony keys provide a smooth texture for easy play and add on to the feel-good factor
- The duet mode split and layer capabilities allow switching the piano into the teacher-learner mode and more
- Silently practice your piano lessons with the headphones output jacks provided with the Privia PX-160.
- It features two 8W amplifier speakers that deliver an unmatchable sound quality
- Includes sustain the pedal system, piano bench, music rest, furniture-style stand, instructional manual, and polishing cloth.
- Provides access to piano learning apps and appropriate tools
- Full range of 88-keys
- Lightweight (24 lbs) and portable
- Touch-sensitive and offers 3 preset settings
- Offers 500 instrument sounds
- Comes with a stand
- Can be connected to external devices; a range of options available at the rear of the instrument
- Semi-weighted keys don’t provide the hammer action
- 32 note polyphony may not be the best available for intermediate players
- Can only operate on AC power
Intermediate pianists looking for a digital piano that echoes the sound of a grand piano will love the Yamaha YPG535. This model provides a sound quality akin to the authentic piano. The piano comes with a quality furniture stand. The semi-weighted 88-keyboard measuring 53.75″ is good enough for beginners but doesn’t provide the rebounding acoustic effect.
The size of the YPG535 digital piano is perfect to fit into any corner of your apartment. It has a sleek design and is lightweight that makes this piano portable. The compact keyboard features a dozen of sound effects. This piano can be assembled conveniently and makes for a popular choice to perform with.
There is a button dedicated to every function and setting on the YPG535 piano and allows players to enjoy the grand piano tone by pressing the “portable grand” button.
- This Yamaha digital piano model offers a monochrome display (320X240)
- Designed with the graded soft-touch action keyboard
- AWM stereo sampling technology
- This Yamaha keyboard is enabled with a 2-way speaker system that divides the sound into two parts providing a well-balanced, impactful treble and bass in both high and low register.
- Dual-mode allows users to enjoy layered sounds from two different instruments upon pressing a key each time.
- The split mode splits the keyboard into two halves turning this one-piece piano into two teacher-student duet modes.
- It comes with a 6 track MIDI recorder. This allows users to record up to 5 songs and also save them in the instrument’s flash memory.
- 160 accompaniment styles enable booster performance with multiple-instruments
- Metronome equipped keyboard fosters ease of practicing rhythm and pace
- Phone drive, USB to host, USB to the device, sustain pedal jack
- The ivory and ebony keys enable a smooth touch and feel and are great for users who want to practice for a longer duration.
- Sturdy build with a sleek look
- Provides a grand piano life effect
- Great for intermediate players
- High-quality finish
- Offers values for money
- Split function and lesson mode is missing
- No playback facility
- MIDI connectivity absent
Scouting for a digital piano that’s sleek, classic and provides an enchanting sound? Here’s the YDP103 Arius Series piano from Yamaha. The dark rosewood color adds to its majestic appearance while the technology provides the best acoustic experience to users. This is one electric piano model you will cherish running your fingers on.
Just like any other Yamaha piano, this one speaks volumes about its high-end quality. It is designed with 88-keys, 3 pedals, graded hammer effect and a score of features to suit the style of any intermediate level pianist seeking to improve on his skill. The hammer impact adds a heavier touch to the bass keys and lighter feel in its higher-end rippling the acoustic effect.
This model comes with a pedal that creates a rich sound quality just like the grand piano. The damper pedal makes sure that every note echoes the acoustic sound. YDP103 Arius is slightly bulky which is a downside of this otherwise well-featured digital piano. On the contrary, the design and the color is an add-on to its merits.
- 88 weighted keys deliberating graded hammer action. The GHS facilitates building an appropriate finger technique required to play an acoustic piano.
- YDP103 Arius has an advanced wave memory synthesis that offers a realistic sound akin to a grand piano.
- 64-polyphony with 10 different instrument sounds included
- Ivory and ebony matt keytops for comfortable play. It prevents slipping of fingers
- It comes with a half-damper pedal that allows users to enjoy sustained notes by pushing it down.
- Furniture styled bench included with the set offers the comfort of sitting and playing the instrument well.
- It allows combining two sounds to make a unique combination.
- The digital piano controller app enables connectivity with smartphones or tablets.
- The instrument can be connected to a PC or mobile device using a standard USB cable.
Related Reading:- List of Best Yamaha Digital Pianos 2021
- Packed with 50 songs in the built-in library and 20 different rhythms
- The improved speaker system provides an incredible sound effect facilitating on-stage performance
- The smart-pianist app enables allowing more scope to pianists
- 192 notes-polyphony is a good range for intermediate players
- 24 sound options make the Yamaha P125 a high-grade instrument
- Sustain pedals ensures continuous resonance not breaking the flow
- No furniture bench included
- No Bluetooth connectivity
Yamaha P125 is an 88-key weighted action digital piano packed with features to satiate your musical quest. A simple and compact model, this one from Yamaha is compact and blends high-end performance with its user-friendly interface. Enduring a sleek appearance, the piano promises powerful sound. The touch response and dynamic features make this a player’s favorite electric piano.
Offering an authentic piano-like experience the Yamaha P125 is enabled with an unbeatable stereophonic sound that will give your performance a rich feel. The Pure CF sound engine engineered on this model reverberates sound like the concert grand piano. 4 layers sampling enables a smooth transition between samples.
- Graded Hammer Standard keyboard with 88-keys provides a heavier touch in the base and lighter touch in the higher end, similar to an acoustic piano
- The two-speaker system generates a stereophonic sound.
- The instrument is controllable via your smart device. Intermediate players can improve their skills by selecting preferable voices and rhythms. The Yamaha P125 digital piano is compatible with Yamaha’s smart pianist app.
- 4 reverbs Chamber, Recital Hall, Concert Hall, and Club.
- The bass and drum tracks are pre-installed in the system which enables the user to conveniently follow the harmony, rhythm, and pace of play. It offers a dozen rhythm patterns such as rock, pop, ballads and more to make your practice sessions fun and real-time.
- The table EQ feature provides the comfort of placing the piano on any surface without disrupting the sound. The internal speakers ensure optimized sound.
The above reviewed digital pianos for intermediates are the 5 best picks that you can consider in your effort to enhance your pianist skills further. All these digital pianos can mimic the sound of a real piano. You can select any model that fulfills your preference of sound and effects.